A vehicle's suspension system is essential for maintaining a smooth and comfortable ride. When you start experiencing body aches and discomfort when driving on a bumpy road or rugged off-road trail, the chances are that the shocks and struts have issues and need replacement. The shocks and struts are responsible for absorbing shock from the road, preventing your vehicle from moving erratically while on the road. You won't feel every single bump or unevenness in the pavement this way, and you are able to better control your vehicle overall.
Over time, shocks and struts can wear just with regular use of your vehicle. The first telltale sign of back shocks is a leaky or oily looking shock, which means they could be damaged. Driving with bad shocks and struts doesn't just affect your ride quality - it can also start to cause damage to your tires, wearing them down unevenly. Other suspension components can also be affected. That is why it is important to pay attention to how your vehicle drives, and to never ignore a symptom of bad shocks or struts. Let's take a look at these symptoms.
Signs that can indicate worn shocks or struts include:
- The vehicle tipping or tilting to one side when cornering
- Instability during high-speed driving
- Rear-end squatting; front end rising when accelerating
- Front-end lowering more than expected during hard braking
- Uneven wearing of the tires due to inconsistent tire-road contact
- Tire bouncing excessively after getting over a bump
- Fluid leaks on the exterior surface of the shocks and struts, indicating worn-out seals
Don't wait until your car's suspension system fails to get professional repair services. As soon as you notice any of the shocks or struts problems listed above, it is important to bring your car into a professional auto repair shop for an inspection. It could be the shocks/struts, or it could be another suspension component that is causing you trouble. Regardless, the sooner you fix the problem - the better!
If you need shocks or struts repair, our auto repair shop can help!